The Viking Voice

North Shore Middle School's Student-Run Newspaper

The Viking Voice

The Viking Voice

Tigers World 4
Tiger's World 4
April 8, 2024
Tigers World 3
Tiger's World 3
March 19, 2024

Nyx 6

WE’RE BACK BABY!! I’m sorry for late submission; I was on a little bit of a hiatus trying to study for tests and such. I hope this makes it up. New cover art coming soon! (Edited and revised; TW: blood/abuse)
Nyx+6
SOLO THERAPY

I went down to the garden. The flowers looked beautiful under the morning sun. I was wearing a simple white dress with pink ruffles. My lady in waiting, Bella, forced me to wear it because “it was totally my color”. I hate pink.

When I was little, Beth brought her fellow friends to the mansion. I was in the attic -my room- minding my own business and Beth and the brat squad came in and pinned me down. “You ugly girl. You need a makeover!” Beth snarled and elbowed her friend, Sofia. She forced a laugh, then the other girl, Heather chimed in.  Beth lifted her hand and signaled them to stop.

They forced me into a pink dress, ripped, and in tatters. I had makeup piled onto my face. It didn’t even look good. Beth snickered and locked me in the room, later coming back with a man, who looked already like I was in big trouble being here. He handed Beth and her friends a few bucks, and then I was blinded.

Scars from whip lashes covered my body from head to toe. I didn’t know what happened that night, but when I fully regained consciousness, I looked at myself and saw cuts and bruises everywhere. I looked at myself in the mirror, with tears in my eyes. 

Blood from open cuts streamed down my legs as I sobbed in my old dusty room.

I walked around the garden, stumbling on pebbles. I saw the most beautiful flower I’ve ever seen. It held a shimmer in the sunlight, full of…hope. It had deep blue and purple petals, and glowing gold tips. The stem had thorns with golden liquid coming out of it. Beside it was a plaque of diamond, reflecting the flower’s aura. It read:

From darkness rises beauty unknown, a girl who came from a family with hearts of stone, monsters rise from down below, in love will stand the final blow.

I stood there, wondering what it meant. Luck? No…To coded. I’d seen this type of writing when I was alive, in a book. Oh! A prophecy!… What could it mean? I thought. I heard soft footsteps coming from behind. It was Thomas.

“Hello love, what about a picnic?” Then he dropped the basket. I was radiating the purple aura again… and so was he. 

“Yeah that sounds good.” I said, with a smile to cover up my worry. The potential prophecy lingered in my mind. I decided to tell him, he was the only one I could trust.

I explained what happened before we reunited. Me, being chained and meeting my father, the tour of the house, and the prophecy.  

“So let me get this straight. You’re saying that we have to defeat monsters together and save the empire from collapsing, all while wearing fancy clothing and holding swords?” Thomas looked at me, baffled at what I told him.

“ I know it’s a lot to take in, but-” Then the ground shook. Bulbs of bright green burst from the round, covered in giant, multi-spiked thorns. The garden’s beautiful blooms uprooted from the ground and toppled over, as a rock beast sprung forth from the dirt.